How are the scores tabulated for the Ray of Light Awards?
The rubric below is designed for the scoring of each category/performer:
10: Performer/group is very professional, Broadway or Equity® caliber.
9: Near perfect performance, near Broadway.
8: Excellent performance, near professional.
7: Very strong performer/group.
6: Better than average high school performance.
5: Average high school performer/production
4: Good performance but with some difficulties.
3: Performer/group lacks polish. Shows potential but appears to need more rehearsal.
2: Performer/group is in over their heads. Material may be too difficult for their abilities.
1: Performer/group is grossly unprepared and should consider seeking serious instruction before continuing.
The "Actor Score" of each judged performer and the "Overall Production Scores" are averaged to arrive at a school's "Final Score."
The cumulative average of each performance category for judged performers.
Overall Production Scores:
The cumulative averages of the areas of Singing (Musicals Only), Choreography Execution (Musicals Only), Ensemble, Overall Acting, and Overall Production Quality.
The "Overall Production Scores" in singing, choreography and overall acting are weighted based on the difficulty of what the students are being asked to do. Each adjudicator is asked to rate the difficulty of each area and those scores are averaged together to arrive at a percentage for each category. The "Overall Production Score" in each of these categories is then multiplied by the percentage to arrive at a score.
Awards Presented Include:
- Best Actor in a Leading Role of a Play
- Best Actress in a Leading Role of a Play
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role of a Play
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role of a Play
- Best Featured Performer in a Play
- Best Dramatic Performance by an Ensemble
- Best Play
- Best Actor in a Leading Role of a Musical
- Best Actress in a Leading Role of a Musical
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role of a Musical
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role of a Musical
- Best Featured Performer in a Musical
- Best Vocal Performance by an Ensemble
- Best Choreography Execution
- Best Small-Scale Musical
- Best Large-Scale Musical
- The Raymond Phillips Memorial Award for Best Production
- Honorable Mentions
The committee is at liberty to award special prizes to particularly strong ensembles, stage crew, etc. at will.